Saturday 16 July 2011

The journey to JOG ...

So on a train going to Edinburgh to meet the team!! I decide to spoil myself and upgrade to first class .. more comfort – lets face it in a few days the feeling will be discomfort so best make the most of it while I can! I have my own little desk and am plugged in to the wifi onboard .. now to pass away some hours.

I have made some additions to the routes for the gps. I have had several cups of tea brought to me and already I am in York! So far from what I can see the countryside is flat .. this bike ride should be a breeze.. Hahah (If only!)

I have been reading a bicycle book by Bella Bathurst given to me for a birthday present which is so far a really good read. It really appeals to my brain because of the way I have spent the last several months doing research and preparing for this trip, it talks of building bikes at first (will move onto less geeky subjects later) and I’m sure will be a suitable read for those nights in the hotels or tent after long days pedaling. I find myself Re-discovering cycling after many years of bikes collecting dust and rust in the corner of the garden or shed. It is a great way to explore the local and not so local area at a more relaxed and it has to be said more rewarding pace. Looking across the hedges by the side of the road and seeing green fields and trees as far as you can see reminds you how beautiful this country we all take for granted is. Some days I feel so privileged to be exploring my own little section of it for the first time ..
I’m sure I will not always feel like this .. on the cold wet and windy days, which according to the latest forecast we are likely to experience in the first few days at least. But when the sun shows itself and we are breezing along on the way to our next stop it is worth the pain and discomfort along the way. You can only truly appreciate the good in life if you have experienced some pain and discomfort first.

Now not far from Edinburgh .. in Scotland at Berwick upon Tweed .. even though it is raining and gloomy, it is a lovely place as I sit looking through the window coming around the bend in the track I catch sight of the long viaduct we are about to cross and can see the sea – sitting on the right side of the train carriage was a good call!

I have to say many memories of the coast to coast walk are coming back to me ..as we speed past rolling fields of sheep and cows .. it brings back the memories of walking through them with Ryan .. sheep, sheep, sheep! Everywhere there’s bloody sheep!!

So the next leg of the journey is .. I drive the van to Inverness to meet the support crew – who are flying today! And then we head to John O’Groats , probably stopping for dinner somewhere ..  maybe with a cheeky Irn Bru too.